Halogen downlights must be correctly installed, insulated and maintained to minimise the risk of starting a fire. Halogen lights operate at high temperatures so it is essential that care is taken right through from installation to on going maintenance.
Tips for Halogen downlight safety
- Always use a licensed Electrical contractor, such as Fallon Services master electricians to install the lights. Not only can they ensure that the lights are compliant to Australian Standards but they are trained in all aspects of electrical safety to ensure your lights are installed and operating correctly.
- Ensure that the lights/transformers are not covered by fiberglass batts or pulped paper insulation's. Heat given off by the lights can mean the insulation can catch fire and ignite.
- Never install the lights neat the structural timber such as roof, ceiling or floor beams.
- Check the roof cavity for dust and leaves that may ignite
- Check for vermin nesting in the roof or floor cavity- They can often damage the lights and cause fires.
- If renovating ensure that the existing insulation does not damage the downloads to be put into contact with the lights
- Ensure that the air movement around them is not impaired by thermal insulation or other material.
- Where thermal insulation is of a type that is not fixed in position e.g. loose fill, a barrier or guard constructed of fire-resistant material shall be provided and secured in position to maintain the necessary clearance. These covers must meet AS 60598.1 and 60598.2.
- Install ceiling downlight covers for extra protection.
Does Fallon Services Supply Australian Standard Electrical Goods?
YES! Fallon Services are not only Master Electricians but only supply and install electrical equipment to meet or exceed Australian Standards!
When it comes to installing and maintaining your downlights get in touch with the Fallon Services team of master electricians- the best in the business when it comes to all your lighting and electrical safety requirements.